Wednesday 19 March 2014

A (typical) lawyer


My former (then potential) boss asked me: "How did you end up at the Faculty of Law?"  "Well, psychology and law were the only things that interested me back then. And since the enrollment criteria at psychology was pretty high, I chose law." Then he said: "You don't look like a lawyer to me." I replied: "I'll take that as a compliment." "Which area of the law interests you the most?" "Family law." "What about corporate law?" "Sure. I'm a Gemini in horoscope, so a lot of things interest me." Some slovenian lawyer wrote in a book that in his time there was this "secondary school syndrome": if you didn't know what to go study, you went to the Faculty of Law. But when I was 10 years old I said that I'm going to be an attorney when I grow up. So, that was kind of my childhood dreams. (:

Me at the faculty
The first "atypical" lawyer which comes to my mind is Elle Woods from the movie Legally Blonde. I especially remember words her father said to her: "Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." I know, it's just a movie, but her character was pretty likeable. :D Another cool lawyers I remember are those from the Ally McBeal TV series. They are all so pleasant there, men and women.

My circle of friends is quite diverse, because I believe that different areas supplement each other and that they broaden one's horizons. I have two good friends from the faculty and I really enjoy our discussions- which have, especially in the last time, became more interesting and I would say, gained depth. These conversations are a bit different from those I have with other friends-I guess that's because we have been through similar things, we have some common interests and we think similarly.

A typical or an atypical lawyer, here is a quote I once read somewhere: "The real intelectuall people are plain.

At the picnic with the lawyers, with a friend







No comments:

Post a Comment